Blaze caused by illegal fireworks

Heavy smoke and flames were visible from town last week as a fire engulfed a residential area on C Melissa Borel/Record-Times

WHEATLAND – Crowds gathered to watch as a fire engulfed a residential section of Cole Street near the railroad tracks last week.
Wheatland Volunteer Fire Department was able to control and contain the fire within 20 minutes but was unable to subdue the blaze completely for another five hours due to the materials buring.
No one was injured, but some camper trailers were destroyed, lumber materials, an outbuilding, and vehicles. One residence sustained significant heat damage, but is still habitable. The blaze is believed to be caused by someone lighting fireworks.
“Remember that Platte County is under a fire ban and no open fires are allowed right now,” said Fire Chief Bob Glasson. “Discharging fireworks is against the law in Platte County except for July 2 - 4.”
The person responsible for the fire is still under investigation.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Home